Google+





Friday, July 22, 2011

Ridley Scott Will NEVER Work Without 3D Again!! Video Added!

Ahhhh. Music to my ears! I love it when more and more creative geniuses at the top of their game commit to 3D like Ridley Scott just did at Comic-Con. Here's the updates...

Says Scott: "3D has been a wonderful exercise but I was brought up as a camera operator so its really about lensing and all that kind of stuff. So with the help I’ve had from a wonderful cameraman and his technical team its been, for me, a pretty straight forward ride. That said I’ll never work without 3D again, even for small dialogue scenes. I love the whole process. 3D opens up the universe of even a small dialogue scene so I’ve been very impressed with that."

Says PROMETHEUS writer Damon Lindelof: "When Ridley decided to film in 3D, he understood [lighting] was going to be one of the profound challenges and I think one of the things that was important to him was, in terms of the constructions of the sets, that the movie was shot on sound stages in Pinewood. Just these humongous, expansive sets. Everything is built. If you’re building a ship, he just built the ship…..I’ve never been on the set of a movie that’s actually shooting 3D before. Anytime you walk into video village there are essentially five massive video screens. You walk in, get a pair of glasses and you can see the shot and suddenly you understood, even on the production design level – the movie was designed by this guy Arthur Max who did Fight Club – ‘Oh my god, they actually designed this movie for 3D.’ Ridley is a shot maker. He makes beautiful art. So the idea of going in post and putting things in there digitally is not going to happen in this movie. Therefore, I feel any movie that’s going to be in 3D has to answer the question, ‘Can you justify this being in 3D? Why should it be in 3D?’ I think the answer to that question for Prometheus is it creates a very immersive environment. The idea that you’re in sometimes very confined spaces, sometimes very wide open spaces. But the only way to trick your brain into feeling you’re in the movie, going through these experiences with these characters, is that the 3D helps bring you into that immersive environment and just based on what i've seen so far I think probably one the most visionary and visual directors in the world is finally using this medium, I think its going to be pretty special."

Lindelof continues: "And by calling it Prometheus were certainly not doing anybody any favors by just saying like ‘This thing is called Batman. It’s gonna be about Batman.’ It’s a slightly headier, we sort of joke about it, pretentious title. So we understand that the bar is very high. But I think that for Ridley to be coming back to this genre, for him to be directing a movie in 3D for the first time – he’s shooting it in 3D, it’s not a conversion – just the way that it’s gonna look and the way it’s gonna feel has to be special and part of the game is being a little bit secretive about it. And I like to keep secrets."



I think PROMETHEUS and the native 3D footage begin shot is in pretty safe hands, don't you? Looking forward to seeing what Scott does AFTER this little SciFi adventure is released - 'cause we now know it will be in stereoscopic 3D!


Contact Me

Jim Dorey
Editor-in-Chief
jim (at) marketsaw (dot) com

All contents Copyright © 2006-2021, MarketSaw Media. All Rights Reserved. All copyrights and trademarks on this website belong to their respective owners.